Pages


Thursday, April 29, 2010

Six Days

Really, in the Great Span Of Time, 6 days is not that long. Heck, it's not even a full week. But a lot seemed to happen around here in the last 6 days...

Friday the 23rd was our 5 year wedding anniversary and my mom flew in to take care of the girls while hubby and I escaped for a couple nights to Orlando. We stayed at the Gaylord Palms Resort right outside Disney. This is the view from our balcony...of the inside of the resort. It's landscaped beautifully so you feel like you're outside, but the whole place is really under glass.

Since it was our anniversary, they gave us an extra night free, upgraded our room and even posted this on one of the large tv's in the hotel:


We had drinks by the pool and a fabulous dinner at one of the restaurants. And then we were up early Saturday to catch the hotel shuttle to Epcot:


I loved Epcot. I especially loved the food. Margaritas in Mexico, bratwurst in Germany, tiramisu in Italy. Yes, I basically ate my way through the park. And it was delicious.

Sunday morning we had the best breakfast ever at another restaurant at the hotel and then we headed home to rescue Grammy from the twins. My mom and the girls did great, though Breena was having some potty training issues. Yet that didn't stop us from heading to the Magic Kingdom on Monday:

The girls had a really good time and I think it was our best Disney trip so far (this was their 3rd trip to the Magic Kingdom)....even though they refused to nap in the stroller. Well, until Breena finally, FINALLY gave in....for about 20 minutes:


We even stayed for the night parade. I love seeing the castle like this:


We made the trip home from the Magic Kingdom late Monday night, got a little rest and then took Grammy to the airport Tuesday afternoon.

Wednesday started out great. Brian bought some sod from Craig's List (don't ask) so a few of the neighbors came by and helped him put it in. With all the help, it didn't take long and it looked great! Later that day I was upstairs updating my blog for the Bombshell Hop I almost missed, and then I got the girls up from their nap. I was still in the nursery with Breena when Baylinn came running back upstairs and said, "Mommy, there's water in the house!" I immediately ran down the steps and right into a puddle of water. The washing machine was leaking...and had been for about 10 minutes or so. Long enough to cover a good part of the first floor of the house in water. I yelled for Brian who was just as shocked as I was when he saw the flood creeping across our tile and wood floors. I worked our shop vac while he called the neighbors - who had been at our house laying sod just that morning - and asked them to come over with their shop vacs. We worked for an hour straight but got all the water we could see up and out of the house. Then it was time to call the insurance company.

So there's good news and bad news. The good news is that we were home when the leak happened so it only lasted minutes and we were able to get the water out before it ruined any electronics or furniture. It also didn't harm the tile that runs through the middle of the house and into the kitchen.

Now the bad news...
Our wood laminate floors are ruined. The insurance company sent a group out today that worked for hours pulling up the wet parts of the flooring and setting up equipment to dry out the concrete, baseboards and walls (yep, the water got into the walls that quickly). Here's what 22 fans, 4 dehumidifiers and 2 cabinet dryers look like on my driveway:


And here's what they look like inside my house:



As large and ugly as they are, it's nothing compared to the noise these things make...it sounds like you're standing next to a jet engine. You have to shout to be heard above the racket. Lucky for us we have a 2 story and the noise isn't quite as bad up here so we'll be pretty much living on the top floor until the dry out is done - hopefully on Monday. We aren't sure how many weeks it will take to get all the floors replaced....

I did get both girls to the doctor today. Baylinn for a lingering cough and Breena for her, err, bum issue. I hope they both feel better soon. It will make living in this chaos for anther 4 days a bit more bearable.

Whew! If you're still with me....thanks. I needed to get that all out. It just didn't seem possible that so much could happen in such a tiny span of time.

Tomorrow night is GNO @ JT which I am very excited about. (Yes, that's a special code and no, I can't tell you what it means.) Even better, Saturday is National Scrapbooking Day and I'm actually going to get to crop for most of the day at my favorite crop place with my favorite scrappy friends. I can't wait!










5 comments:

  1. How fun... :) Happy Anniversary!

    and HOLY SMOKES!!!! The girls look so big, and way older!!!! THeir big cuz needs to see them sooooooooooon. I miss you guys loads. :)

    hugs and love,

    -makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! Let me see where to start! Happy belated anniversary! I loved the Gaylord Palm when we went there to eat! It must be an amazing place to stay at! The twins look wonderful as do you and your mom!

    Water in your house really sucks! I hope it all dried up quickly with no mold issues for the future! I really hope that you get everything back to normal soon!

    Are you going to see any of the old Scrapbook Buddies anytime soon. I really really miss you guys!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope things in your house get back to normal soon. Have known several people to go through that & it isn't fun.

    I left you an award over on my blog. Stop by sometime to pick it up.

    http://k-ekreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Britten! I saw your blog while I was over at M-C's. I already heard the story of the water, but the pictures of the fans really give it a whole new perspective. I hope that gets cleaned up for you soon!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baylinn looks so much like you now!! Sorry to hear about your floors. Ug... no fun. I've got to cancel on you. My Mon and Wed morning filled up at the family picnic today. My g-ma left early because she wasn't feeling well, so I need to take Audrey to her house and spend some QT. Before I decided I needed to do that, I told my MIL that I would meet her for lunch on Wed. so her work people can meet Audrey. So sorry to back out on you, but with so much family here....
    Look at the bright side: no company when you're floor is ripped up.

    ReplyDelete